Subject[RESENT] platform_driver's probe functions must not be located in .init.text
Hello,

[A very similar series was already posted in January this year, but only
a few patches made it into Linus' tree. I updated my patches to Linus'
current master and added a few new fixes. See

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/779532

for the old version. Now I made the effort to find out people to Cc:
for each patch, so I hope to get more patches in this time.]

if the probe function of a platform_driver lives in .init.text (i.e. is
defined using __init) registering a device after the .init sections are
discarded results in an oops. You can test that by doing

echo $drivername.$somevalidid > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/$drivername/unbind
echo $drivername.$somevalidid > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/$drivername/bind

As a reply to this mail I send 58 patches that fix this kind of error by
moving the respective probe functions to .devinit.text.

This should be safe in general as it only increases the lifetime for the
respective functions.

The alternative is using platform_driver_probe instead of
platform_driver_register plus removing the pointer to the probe function
from the struct platform_driver. But I choosed changing the section as
this is less intrusive though probably the latter would be the better
fix because it saves some memory.

You cannot blindly change to use platform_driver_probe because if the
devices are only registered after that call (but while .init is still
valid) the driver is already gone. This is hardly checkable for me
because I don't have the hardware for most drivers I fixed.

Shortlog and diffstat are below. You can fetch this series from

git://git.pengutronix.de/git/ukl/linux-2.6.git platsection-master

based on v2.6.29-3321-gbe0ea69.

Best regards
Uwe

Uwe Kleine-König (58):
move acornfb's probe function to .devinit.text
move am79c961's probe function to .devinit.text
move arcfb's probe function to .devinit.text
move at91_ether's probe function to .devinit.text
move at91_wdt's probe function to .devinit.text
move bf54x-lq043's probe function to .devinit.text
move cfag12864bfb's probe function to .devinit.text
move leds-clevo-mail's probe function to .devinit.text
move cobalt-lcd's probe function to .devinit.text
move corgi-ssp's probe function to .devinit.text
move efifb's probe function to .devinit.text
move orion-ehci's probe function to .devinit.text
move epson1355fb's probe function to .devinit.text
move sh_flctl's probe function to .devinit.text
move gbefb's probe function to .devinit.text
move h1940-bt's probe function to .devinit.text
move h1940-leds's probe function to .devinit.text
move hgafb's probe function to .devinit.text
move hitfb's probe function to .devinit.text
move hp680-bl's probe function to .devinit.text
move hp-wmi's probe function to .devinit.text
move jazzsonic's probe function to .devinit.text
move jornada_ssp's probe function to .devinit.text
move ks8695_wdt's probe function to .devinit.text
move macsonic's probe function to .devinit.text
move meth's probe function to .devinit.text
move mmci-omap's probe function to .devinit.text
move mailbox's probe function to .devinit.text
move omap24xxcam's probe function to .devinit.text
move mailbox's probe function to .devinit.text
move omap_hdq's probe function to .devinit.text
move i2c_omap's probe function to .devinit.text
move mmci-omap-hs's probe function to .devinit.text
move omap_rng's probe function to .devinit.text
move omap_wdt's probe function to .devinit.text
move orion_nand's probe function to .devinit.text
move gen_nand's probe function to .devinit.text
move q40fb's probe function to .devinit.text
move r8a66597_hcd's probe function to .devinit.text
move s3c241xfb's probe function to .devinit.text
move sa11x0-fb's probe function to .devinit.text
move flash's probe function to .devinit.text
move sb1250-mac's probe function to .devinit.text
move sgiseeq's probe function to .devinit.text
move sgivwfb's probe function to .devinit.text
move sgiwd93's probe function to .devinit.text
move sharpsl-pm's probe function to .devinit.text
move sh_mobile_lcdc_fb's probe function to .devinit.text
move snd_powermac's probe function to .devinit.text
move snirm_53c710's probe function to .devinit.text
move stk17ta8's probe function to .devinit.text
move twl4030_usb's probe function to .devinit.text
move omap_udc's probe function to .devinit.text
move vesafb's probe function to .devinit.text
move vfb's probe function to .devinit.text
move vga16fb's probe function to .devinit.text
move w100fb's probe function to .devinit.text
move xtsonic's probe function to .devinit.text

arch/arm/common/sharpsl_pm.c | 2 +-
arch/arm/mach-omap1/mailbox.c | 2 +-
arch/arm/mach-omap2/mailbox.c | 2 +-
arch/arm/mach-pxa/corgi_ssp.c | 2 +-
arch/arm/mach-s3c2410/h1940-bluetooth.c | 2 +-
arch/arm/mach-sa1100/jornada720_ssp.c | 2 +-
drivers/auxdisplay/cfag12864bfb.c | 2 +-
drivers/char/hw_random/omap-rng.c | 2 +-
drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-omap.c | 2 +-
drivers/leds/leds-clevo-mail.c | 2 +-
drivers/leds/leds-h1940.c | 2 +-
drivers/media/video/omap24xxcam.c | 2 +-
drivers/mmc/host/omap.c | 2 +-
drivers/mmc/host/omap_hsmmc.c | 2 +-
drivers/mtd/maps/sa1100-flash.c | 2 +-
drivers/mtd/nand/orion_nand.c | 2 +-
drivers/mtd/nand/plat_nand.c | 2 +-
drivers/mtd/nand/sh_flctl.c | 2 +-
drivers/net/arm/am79c961a.c | 2 +-
drivers/net/arm/at91_ether.c | 2 +-
drivers/net/jazzsonic.c | 2 +-
drivers/net/macsonic.c | 2 +-
drivers/net/meth.c | 2 +-
drivers/net/sb1250-mac.c | 2 +-
drivers/net/sgiseeq.c | 2 +-
drivers/net/xtsonic.c | 2 +-
drivers/platform/x86/hp-wmi.c | 4 ++--
drivers/rtc/rtc-stk17ta8.c | 2 +-
drivers/scsi/sgiwd93.c | 2 +-
drivers/scsi/sni_53c710.c | 2 +-
drivers/usb/gadget/omap_udc.c | 2 +-
drivers/usb/host/ehci-orion.c | 2 +-
drivers/usb/host/r8a66597-hcd.c | 2 +-
drivers/usb/otg/twl4030-usb.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/acornfb.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/arcfb.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/backlight/hp680_bl.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/bf54x-lq043fb.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/cobalt_lcdfb.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/efifb.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/epson1355fb.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/gbefb.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/hgafb.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/hitfb.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/q40fb.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/s3c2410fb.c | 4 ++--
drivers/video/sa1100fb.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/sgivwfb.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/sh_mobile_lcdcfb.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/vesafb.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/vfb.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/vga16fb.c | 2 +-
drivers/video/w100fb.c | 2 +-
drivers/w1/masters/omap_hdq.c | 4 ++--
drivers/watchdog/at91rm9200_wdt.c | 2 +-
drivers/watchdog/ks8695_wdt.c | 2 +-
drivers/watchdog/omap_wdt.c | 2 +-
sound/ppc/powermac.c | 2 +-

Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-König |