    SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
    > ase for a stable series.
    > After 2.6.16, there will be a 2.6.16.y series with the usual stable
    > rules.
    > After the release of 2.6.17, this 2.6.16.y series will be continued with
    > more relaxed rules similar to the rules in kernel 2.4 since the release
    > of kernel 2.6.0 (e.g. driver updates will be allowed).

    this is a contradiction. You can't eat a cake and have it; either you're
    really low churn (like existing -stable) or you start adding new
    features like hardware support. the problem with hardware support is
    that it's not just a tiny driver update. If involves midlayer updates as
    well usually, and especially if those midlayers diverge between your
    stable and mainline, the "backports" are getting increasingly unsafe and

    If the current model doesn't work as you claim it doesn't, then maybe
    the model needs finetuning. Right now the biggest pain is the userland
    ABI changes that need new packages; sometimes (often) for no real hard
    reason. Maybe we should just stop doing those bits, they're not in any
    fundamental way blocking general progress (sure there's some code bloat
    due to it, but I guess we'll just have to live with that).

      Last update: 2005-12-03 15:39    [W:0.020 / U:0.720 seconds]