    SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
    On 12/3/05, Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de> wrote:
    > The current kernel development model is pretty good for people who
    > always want to use or offer their costumers the maximum amount of the
    > latest bugs^Wfeatures without having to resort on additional patches for
    > them.
    >
    > Problems of the current development model from a user's point of view
    > are:
    > - many regressions in every new release
    > - kernel updates often require updates for the kernel-related userspace
    > (e.g. for udev or the pcmcia tools switch)
    >
    > One problem following from this is that people continue to use older
    > kernels with known security holes because the amount of work for kernel
    > upgrades is too high.
    >
    > These problems follow from the development model.
    >
    > The latest stable kernel series without these problems is 2.4, but 2.4
    > is becoming more and more obsolete and might e.g. lack driver support
    > for some recent hardware you want to use.
    >
    > Since Andrew and Linus do AFAIK not plan to change the development
    > model, what about the following for getting a stable kernel series
    > without leaving the current development model:
    >

    > Kernel 2.6.16 will be the base for a stable series.

    [snip]

    Why can't this be done by distributors/vendors?

    Any vendor is free to branch off at 2.6.<whatever> and then maintain
    that indefinately. Why create yet-another-stable-branch?

    In effect you'd be making 2.6.17+ into a 2.7.x tree and 2.6.16.y would
    become a 2.6 tree in 2.4.x style, with all the backporting problems
    and vendor skew that 2.4.x suffered from.

    Personally I don't like this proposal. In my oppinion 2.6 + the
    -stable branch as we have it now works well and people who want
    userspace & kernel in sync are perfectly free to use vendor kernels
    (which is also the recommended thing to do for most users as far as I
    know).

    Just my 0.02euro.

    --
    Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>