    SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
    On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 03:48:06PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
    > * Greg KH:
    >
    > > On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 03:29:54PM +0100, Jesper Juhl wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Why can't this be done by distributors/vendors?
    > >
    > > It already is done by these people, look at the "enterprise" Linux
    > > distributions and their 5 years of maintance (or whatever the number
    > > is.)
    > >
    > > If people/customers want stability, they already have this option.
    >
    > It seems that vendor kernels lack most DoS-related fixes. I'm only
    > aware of a single vendor which tracks them to the point that CVE names
    > are assigned.

    If those DoS-related problems are only related to local user DoS's, yes,
    that is understandable. If you have questions about this, ask the
    vendor, they usually have a good reason for not including those fixes.

    > Vendor kernels are not a panacea, either. With some of the basic
    > support contracts (in the four-figure range per year and CPU), the
    > vendor won't look extensively at random kernel crashes which could (in
    > theory) be attributed to faulty hardware, *and* you don't get
    > community support for these heavily patched kernel collages.

    Yes, the lack of community support is one thing you do give up with
    them.

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2005-12-06 19:07    [W:0.021 / U:210.356 seconds]