SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
Date
* Greg KH:

>> Yes but not home users with relatively new/bleeding edge hardware or
>> small projects writing for example a wifi driver or a security patch
>> or whatever without full time commitment to tracking kernel changes.
>
> If you are a user that wants this kind of support, then use a distro
> that can handle this. Obvious examples that come to mind are both
> Debian and Gentoo and Fedora and OpenSuSE, and I'm sure there are
> others.

IIRC, Gentoo ignores some kinds of security bugs so that the task
remains manageable. Debian, in contrast, hasn't released a kernel
update for its stable distribution since June (but unstable and even
testing is in surprisingly good shape).

Maybe the real vendor kernels are better. Without CVE-based bug
tracking on their part, it is hard to tell, though. 8-)

  Last update: 2005-12-06 02:22    [W:0.683 / U:0.476 seconds]