    SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
    * Greg KH:

    >> Yes but not home users with relatively new/bleeding edge hardware or
    >> small projects writing for example a wifi driver or a security patch
    >> or whatever without full time commitment to tracking kernel changes.
    > If you are a user that wants this kind of support, then use a distro
    > that can handle this. Obvious examples that come to mind are both
    > Debian and Gentoo and Fedora and OpenSuSE, and I'm sure there are
    > others.

    IIRC, Gentoo ignores some kinds of security bugs so that the task
    remains manageable. Debian, in contrast, hasn't released a kernel
    update for its stable distribution since June (but unstable and even
    testing is in surprisingly good shape).

    Maybe the real vendor kernels are better. Without CVE-based bug
    tracking on their part, it is hard to tell, though. 8-)

      Last update: 2005-12-06 02:22    [W:0.019 / U:25.512 seconds]