    SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
    On 2005-12-06T01:14:23, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

    > > The right way to address this is to work with the distribution of your
    > > choice to make these updates available faster.
    > Working with a distribution benefits that distribution alone. Working
    > on (e.g.) kernel security advisories would benefit everyone. It's not
    > a speed issue, it's more about coverage. And full coverage is very
    > hard to get without support from the real developers.

    The distributions differ from another in their sync and branch points
    from the main kernel, and there's no way before hell freezes over this
    is going to change.

    So, you essentially need to maintain the kernel your distribution
    branched from. This means: backport fixes/features relevant to your
    release, and make sure the rest of the system stays in sync. This puts
    the effort there where it belongs: to those people benefitting from it.

    The current model actually works _better_ for the existing
    distributions, because they get to choose their branchpoint - with all
    the features up to that point - instead of having, say, 2.6.x as the
    stable base and then already starting out with having to backport major
    features from 2.7 (because of user demand).

    A single stable branch beneficial to all users means frozen innovation
    for the distributions, and they still have to significant QA on the
    releases and the updates to that kernel (to stay on that issue, it
    applies to other major components too). Even with 2.4.x, a distribution
    couldn't simply stick in newer 2.4.x+n releases instead of 2.4.x,
    because, as someone already so well said, one users bugfix is another's
    regression. And all the distributors would have to agree on the same
    policy for kernel changes and sync even updates!

    Thus, more effort for less gain.

    The truth is that right now we have _several_ stable branches maintained
    by the distributors (be they commercial or free) together with the
    kernel-related user-land.

    I daresay this is a feature and works pretty well.

    If someone wants to maintain a stable 2.6.x release, nobody will stop
    them from maintaining 2.6.x.y until y overflows, or until the 6 months
    are full and then they can release their new major update and plot a
    transition path with the updates to all required user-land.

    The fact people are complaining about stems from the fact that the Linux
    kernel itself is useless; it is intimately tied to various components
    which reside in user-space, and so it is inherent to the process that a
    major kernel update very likely maps to a distribution update. The
    components are developed separately, but they do not have a stable
    modular interface, at essentially no level but the POSIX/system call
    interfaces and sometimes, glibc or what is specified in the LSB.

    This is a _feature_! It allows us to more quickly move and adapt. The
    BSD model is, as Dave pointed out, even further along this road, and
    every distribution basically does exactly that, because our user
    community is big enough to sustain it.

    Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée

    --