    SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
    On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 09:59:11PM +0100, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
    > On 2005-12-03T14:56:08, Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de> wrote:
    >
    > > The current kernel development model is pretty good for people who
    > > always want to use or offer their costumers the maximum amount of the
    > > latest bugs^Wfeatures without having to resort on additional patches for
    > > them.
    > >
    > > Problems of the current development model from a user's point of view
    > > are:
    > > - many regressions in every new release
    > > - kernel updates often require updates for the kernel-related userspace
    > > (e.g. for udev or the pcmcia tools switch)
    >
    > Your problem statement is correct, but you're fixing the symptoms, not
    > the cause.
    >
    > What we need is an easier way for users to pull in kernel updates with
    > the matching kernel-related user-space.
    >
    > This is provided, though with some lag, by Fedora, openSUSE, Debian
    > testing, dare I say gentoo and others.
    >
    > The right way to address this is to work with the distribution of your
    > choice to make these updates available faster.

    The big problem is though that we don't typically find out that
    we've regressed until after a kernel update is in the end-users hands.

    In many cases, submitters of changes know that things are going
    to break. Maybe we need a policy that says changes requiring userspace updates
    need to be clearly documented in the mails Linus gets (Especially if its
    a git pull request), so that when the next point release gets released,
    Linus can put a section in the announcement detailing what bits
    of userspace are needed to be updated.

    It still isn't to solve the problem of regressions in drivers, but
    that's a problem that's not easily solvable.

    Dave

      Last update: 2005-12-03 22:16    [W:2.905 / U:0.056 seconds]