SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 12:19:45PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 03:29:54PM +0100, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> >
> > Why can't this be done by distributors/vendors?
>
> It already is done by these people, look at the "enterprise" Linux
> distributions and their 5 years of maintance (or whatever the number
> is.)
>
> If people/customers want stability, they already have this option.

I don't get the point where the advantage is when every distribution
creates it's own stable branches.

AFAIR one of the reasons for the current 2.6 development model was to
reduce the amount of feature patches distributions ship by offering an
ftp.kernel.org kernel that gets new features early.

What's wrong with offering an unified branch with few regressions for
both users and distributions? It's not that every distribution will use
it, but as soon as one or two distributions are using it the amount of
extra work for maintaining the branch should become pretty low.

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

cu
Adrian