    SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
    On 12/3/05, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
    > On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 03:29:54PM +0100, Jesper Juhl wrote:
    > >
    > > Why can't this be done by distributors/vendors?
    >
    > It already is done by these people, look at the "enterprise" Linux
    > distributions and their 5 years of maintance (or whatever the number
    > is.)
    >
    > If people/customers want stability, they already have this option.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > greg k-h
    > -

    Yes but not home users with relatively new/bleeding edge hardware or
    small projects writing for example a wifi driver or a security patch
    or whatever without full time commitment to tracking kernel changes.

    Enterprise products are suited for production servers,
    school/government/companies desktops and not for "enthusiasts" or for
    small kernel projects (they obviously cant write drivers or patches
    for custom distro kernels). Those enthusiasts have to get mad with
    performance regressions, new incompatibilities, new crashes etc.

    My suggestion was to release a 2.6.X kernel every 6months reducing
    kernel development fragmentation between different distros and giving
    away stabler stuff.

    Michele

      Last update: 2005-12-03 22:07    [W:0.025 / U:0.052 seconds]