    SubjectRe: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?
    On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 01:08:00PM -0400, Timothy Miller wrote:
    > Lars Roland wrote:
    > >
    > >For my own part I can tell you, that a dual head dvi card is high on
    > >my wish list (if it can run 1200*1600 on each head), if you can make
    > >one with Linux support, then I would be happy to pay 200-300$ for it,
    > >even if it did not have the best 3D support (just enough power for
    > >future xorg/enlightenment effect and I am happy).
    > >

    > I expect that we will offer a multi-head model.

    Will this be a card with two pci id's, and two
    fully independent graphichs accelerators?

    That is necessary for two-user setups. A single-user
    setup with xinerama use a single xserver process that
    can deal with hardware dependencies. A two-user
    setup use two xserver processes that doesn��'t cooperate
    at all. One basically doesn�'t know that the other exists,
    so it cannot know what register the other process messes
    with and so on. A dual processor machine might even
    mean that both servers runs simultaneosuly - so
    there cannot be dependencies. Also, an xserver likes
    to reserve a pci ID for itself, so life gets much
    easier if the card has two pci ids - i.e. two
    graphichs cards on a single circuit board.

    Of course I am willing to pay twice the single-card
    price for such a card that has two of every chip
    (except for the shared bus interface circuits).

    I hope such a design won't be too much extra work,
    basically you design the single-card accelerator FPGA
    and other supporting chips
    and stuff two of everything on the same PCB.

    Note that this "double" card improves performance for
    the more common case of one user with two screens too. :-)

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.020 / U:2.736 seconds]