SubjectRe: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable? [u]
On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 18:02 -0400, Timothy Miller wrote:

Hi,

> So, here are some questions to answer:
>
> (1) Would the sales volumes of this product be enough to make it worth
> producing (ie. profitable)?

No idea - I for one would think that most gamer Linux users will buy
it if its got the performance 3D wise - many others that only want 2D,
or at least accelerated render support in X, as well as XV, etc.

> (2) How much would you be willing to pay for it?

I am not that a big a gamer, so my Geforce 5700 ultra is fine for my
needs. If the card have relative performance to that, and drivers is
the same quality as nvidia's (but hopefully better, and really not ati's
crappy standard), then I would fork the same amount as you would for an
5700, or slightly more if not that much. Not sure what that amounts to.

> (3) How do you feel about the choice of neglecting 3D performance as a
> priority? How important is 3D performance? In what cases is it not?

Yeah, I think it is important - just for decent performance in
gnome/kde, you need a card with accel RENDER support, as well as XV/GL
for video. Not to talk about those of us that are heavy gamers, or like
me who like my ut2004/quake3/nvn once or twice a week.

> (4) How much extra would you be willing to pay for excellent 3D performance?

Well, above price was for performance on par or just below a 5700. I
know it will be more expensive to develop, so if it was a bit more
expensive than the same class nvidia/ati, but with better drivers, I
would be sold. The reality of the issue is just while I love my linux,
I rather taint my kernel than crappy X performance or no gaming now and
then.

> (5) What's most important to you, performance, price, or stability?

Performance and stability, but it being 3 times more expensive than
on par nvidia/ati cards wont cut it.

Hope that is not too vague to help a bit.

Regards,

--
Martin Schlemmer

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.417 / U:0.016 seconds]