SubjectRe: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable? [u]
On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 10:24 +0200, Tonnerre wrote:
> Salut,
>
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 12:19:07AM +0200, Martin Schlemmer [c] wrote:
> > > (3) How do you feel about the choice of neglecting 3D performance as a
> > > priority? How important is 3D performance? In what cases is it not?
> >
> > Yeah, I think it is important - just for decent performance in
> > gnome/kde, you need a card with accel RENDER support, as well as XV/GL
> > for video. Not to talk about those of us that are heavy gamers, or like
> > me who like my ut2004/quake3/nvn once or twice a week.
>
> OpenGL should be enough to get RENDER working. The rest may be based
> on.
>
> > The reality of the issue is just while I love my linux, I rather
> > taint my kernel than crappy X performance or no gaming now and then.
>
> The NVidia driver hangs my system after around 10 minutes, and if I
> write additional media drivers and other things, I sometimes end up with
>
> if (ptr)
> ptr->blah(ptr);
>
> failing with ptr being dereferenced as a NULL pointer, which shouldn't
> happen as I just checked it.
>
> To people developing the kernels, NVidia and other closed source
> drivers are desasterous, as you can't seem to find out what the hell
> they're doing, apart from graphics.

I did not say I like it, but its better than nothing. My system here at
home had an uptime of near 20 days before I rebooted for 2.6.9-mm1 with
nvidia driver (intel i875), but at work (nforce1) it freezes if I scroll
in gnumeric with same driver. I guess it depends what setup.

--
Martin Schlemmer

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.122 / U:0.112 seconds]