SubjectRe: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

David Lang wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Timothy Miller wrote:
>
>> David Lang wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Timothy Miller wrote:
>>>
>>> since nobody has done this yet (for video cards anyeay) there is no
>>> proof one way or the other.
>>

>> Well, if Tech Source management decides that this project isn't worth
>> the effort, you'll have a small piece of circumstantial evidence that
>> leans toward "it's not viable". I personally want to find a way to
>> make it work.
>>
>> To the open source community, this is a golden opportunity to directly
>> influence the design of a piece of hardware which fits their ideals.
>> For me personally, this is a golden opportunity to work on a project
>> from which I'll derive an immense amount of enjoyment. For both
>> accounts, I'm desperate to find a way to make it work. :)
>>

> Tim, in this case you are not just testing the openess idea, you are
> also testing the low-volume, high-cost, but flexible idea. and that idea
> has never had a large market
>
> you are in something of a catch-22 here. due to the risk you can only do
> things with a relativly small initial investment, but with a larger
> initial investment you could make much cheaper (and therefor much more
> popular) cards. where's a billionare looking to Do Good Things (TM) when
> you need one ;-)

Yeah! I wonder if there are any rich investors reading this right now
who would like to invest in this project. :)

I'm sure the CEO would be elated to have that happen! :)

Based on past experience, I think a few million dollars would do it. :)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.124 / U:0.120 seconds]