    SubjectRe: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?
    On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 22:00 -0400, Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:

    > I would think that a chip that has a lot of simple functions, but
    > requires the OS to put them together to actually do something, would be
    > great. This would be the UNIX mentality brought to hardware: lots of
    > small components that get strung together in ways their creator(s) never
    > imagined. If there can be a programmable side as well (other than
    > re-burning the FPGA), that would be great.
    >
    > I guess I would look at this as an opportunity to make a "visual
    > coprocessor", that also has the hardware necessary to output to a
    > monitor (preferably multiple monitors).

    this being an fpga, why not have various contents for it, such as all
    the heavy lifters required for theora encoding, for instance,
    so, you take 5 of those cards, and build a digital recorder that can
    encode 4 tv shows in real time while viewing them at the same time,
    you can sell the device for video surveillance, and so on...

    Raphael

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:2.413 / U:1.908 seconds]