    SubjectRe: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

    Shaun Kruger wrote:
    >>I don't think we can get away without supporting some minimal VGA
    >>functionality.
    >>

    > Just a thought... What would be the viability of buying someone elses
    > low end card design? Would anyone in the market place be willing to
    > part with one of their old 2D chipsets with the understanding that it
    > would be developed and optimized for open source applications? I
    > would probably start with a chip maker who has some video chipsets,
    > but is moving away from it because they don't have the market share
    > they want...
    >
    > It's probably crazy, but it doesn't hurt to look around.

    It's not really design effort that is at issue here. If the design time
    were zero, we'd still run into the problem of keeping manufacturing
    costs down. In fact, my whole discussion sorta glosses over design
    effort... I roll it into 'profit' and 'worthwhile'.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:4.670 / U:0.180 seconds]