SubjectRe: Topic for discussion: OS Design
On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Dwayne C . Litzenberger wrote:

>Although I am a programmer, I am not yet a kernel hacker, so some of my claims

Point 1.

>*very* efficient. However, there are some drawbacks to microkernels that have
>been raised

Point 2.

>(and I don't have the expertise to argue about them),

Point 3.

That pretty much answers the question right there IMHO. This is
an FAQ.

>So, my question is this: What are some of Linux's design problems, and what
>fundamental changes could be made for a long-run benefit?

Not by turning it into a microkernel. Suggesting it is nothing
more than religious CS BS.

Mike A. Harris - Linux advocate - Open source advocate
Computer Consultant - Capslock Consulting
Copyright 2000 all rights reserved

[Mike A. Harris Linux tip #1 - 50 line mode]
Is the 80x25 line screen too small for you? If you want more screen real
estate, you can set 50 column mode by editing your /etc/lilo.conf file, and
adding a new line with "vga=ext" to the global section near the top. Save
and exit, then run "lilo". Next time you boot, you'll have a nice big 80x50
screen.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:41    [W:1.085 / U:0.148 seconds]