On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, David S. Miller wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 19:29:35 -0500
> Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> If the time between big merges increases, as with this proposal, then
>> the distance between local dev trees and linux-2.6 increases.
>>
>> With that distance, breakages like the 64-bit resource struct stuff
>> become more painful.
>>
>> I like my own "ongoing dev tree, ongoing stable tree" proposal a lot
>> better. But then, I'm biased :)
>
> The problem is people don't test until 2.6.whatever-final goes out.
> Nothing will change that.
>
> And the day Linus releases we always get a pile of "missing MODULE_EXPORT()"
> type bug reports that are one liner fixes. Those fixes will not be seen by
> users until the next 2.6.x rev comes out and right now that takes months
> which is rediculious for such simple fixes.
>
> We're talking about a one week "calming" period to collect the brown paper
> bag fixes for a 2.6.${even} release, that's all.
>
> All this "I have to hold onto my backlog longer, WAHHH!" arguments are bogus
> IMHO. We're using a week of quiescence to fix the tree for users so they
> are happy whilst we work on the 2.6.${odd} interesting stuff :-)

I understand the desire and benifit to do this sort of fixing, but I
really don't like extending the odd/even thing to other parts of the
kernel version numbers

with 2.6.8 a different path was attempted with 2.6.8.1 couldn't we just
use that numbering scheme (avoiding adding to the numbering confusion
further) and plan on releasing a 2.6.11.1 next tuesday (or so) with the
various paper-bag fixes?

If I understand bitkeeper properly Linus wouldn't even need to duplicate
the patches, he should be able to fork his tree to do the paper-bag fixes
in one fork while continueing development in the other one and then
recombining them when either generates a release.

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.742 / U:0.120 seconds]