    On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > If we want a calming period, we need to do development like 2.4.x is
    > done today. It's sane, understandable and it works.

    No. It's insane, and the only reason it works is that 2.4.x is a totally
    different animal. Namely it doesn't have the kind of active development AT
    ALL any more. It _only_ has the "even" number kind of things, and quite
    frankly, even those are a lot less than 2.6.x has.

    > 2.6.x-pre: bugfixes and features
    > 2.6.x-rc: bugfixes only

    And the reason it does _not_ work is that all the people we want testing
    sure as _hell_ won't be testing -rc versions.

    That's the whole point here, at least to me. I want to have people test
    things out, but it doesn't matter how many -rc kernels I'd do, it just
    won't happen. It's not a "real release".

    In contrast, making it a real release, and making it clear that it's a
    release in its own right, might actually get people to use it.

    Might. Maybe.

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.020 / U:2.304 seconds]