    David S. Miller wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 19:29:35 -0500
    > Jeff Garzik <> wrote:
    >>If the time between big merges increases, as with this proposal, then
    >>the distance between local dev trees and linux-2.6 increases.
    >>With that distance, breakages like the 64-bit resource struct stuff
    >>become more painful.
    >>I like my own "ongoing dev tree, ongoing stable tree" proposal a lot
    >>better. But then, I'm biased :)
    > The problem is people don't test until 2.6.whatever-final goes out.
    > Nothing will change that.
    > And the day Linus releases we always get a pile of "missing MODULE_EXPORT()"
    > type bug reports that are one liner fixes. Those fixes will not be seen by
    > users until the next 2.6.x rev comes out and right now that takes months
    > which is rediculious for such simple fixes.
    > We're talking about a one week "calming" period to collect the brown paper
    > bag fixes for a 2.6.${even} release, that's all.

    If we want a calming period, we need to do development like 2.4.x is
    done today. It's sane, understandable and it works.

    2.6.x-pre: bugfixes and features
    2.6.x-rc: bugfixes only

    > All this "I have to hold onto my backlog longer, WAHHH!" arguments are bogus
    > IMHO. We're using a week of quiescence to fix the tree for users so they
    > are happy whilst we work on the 2.6.${odd} interesting stuff :-)

    If you think it will be only a week, you're deluding yourself. It will
    stretch out to a month or longer, and the backlog problems will be real.

    A calming period is fine. But this even/odd mess is just silly.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.023 / U:15.884 seconds]