    SubjectRe: [Acpi] Re: ACPI fundamental locking problems
    Helge Hafting wrote:
    > I am fine with "You have to use initrd (or similiar) _if_ you want this
    > feature."
    > But please don't make initrd mandatory for those of us who don't
    > need ACPI, don't need dhcp before mounting disks and so on.

    I've always thought it would be neat to do:

    cat bzImage initrd.tar.gz > vmlinuz
    rdev --i-have-a-tarball-piggyback vmlinuz

    Linking into the image is easy for hackers, but why not make it
    scriptable and super-easy for end users? x86 already has the rdev
    utility to mark a kernel image as having certain flags. It could even
    be a command line option, "inittgz" or somesuch, telling us that a
    gzip-format tarball immediately follows the end of our ELF image.

    I wonder if any bootloader mods would be needed at all to do this...
    AFAICS you just need to make sure the kernel doesn't trample the
    piggyback'd data.

    --
    Jeff Garzik | Thalidomide, eh?
    Building 1024 | So you're saying the eggplant has an accomplice?