SubjectRE: [Acpi] Re: ACPI fundamental locking problems
Date
> From:	Alan Cox [SMTP:alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk]
>
> The goal isnt a technical nit, its to avoid loading 300Kbytes of crud
> (which
> should mostly be in user space anyway) on the 99.9% of machines where we
> dont
> need it.
[DJW:]
I argued this at the very beginning, but there was a very strong
view that you needed to run most of the code before you had a user
space to run it in. I've not followed things closely enough to
know whether or not this is really true and whether or not it is
inevitable, or just a flaw in the ACPI design.

My feeling has been that ACPI has violated the minimum privilege
concept from the beginning, although I think putting stuff in drivers
that could be at user level is not htat uncommon in Linux.