    SubjectRe: [Acpi] Re: ACPI fundamental locking problems

    On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Helge Hafting wrote:
    > I am fine with "You have to use initrd (or similiar) _if_ you want this
    > feature."

    I do not want to maintain two interfaces. If we make user space the way to
    do these things, then we will do pretty much most of the driver setup etc
    in user space. We'd have to: we'd enter user space before drivers have had
    a chance to initialize, exactly because "features like these" can change
    the device mappings etc.

    And I don't want to have two completely different bootup paths.

    > But please don't make initrd mandatory for those of us who don't
    > need ACPI, don't need dhcp before mounting disks and so on.

    You would never even know the difference. You'd do a "make bzImage", and
    the default filesystem would just be embedded into the image. By default
    it probably doesn't need to do much - although things like the BIOS DPMI
    scan etc would surely be good to get rid of.

    Why complain about that?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.021 / U:0.332 seconds]