SubjectRe: Some experience of linux on a Laptop
On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, John Nilsson wrote:

> I have a Toshiba Portégé 3010CT laptop. That is:
> 266MHz Pentium-MMX
> 4GB HD with 512kb cache (which linux reduces to 0kb)
> 32 Mb EDO RAM

I have the same machine with 64 MB ram, and it's quite well supported with
linux. I do most of my daily work on it (except for large builds). I've
really tried to use all the hardware in it, and everything is usable. The
only minor problems are:

- hibernation (yeah, unfinished ACPI work, but the machine is said to have
a compliant ACPI implementation)
- sound playback and recording (opl3sa2) doesn't seem to work at the same
time (some DMA problem, there was a patch on the list around the 2.4.3
time but it was included somewhat differently into the ac tree, i'll try
the original patch to see if it works)
- ToPIC97 freezes with the yenta driver, i had to put it into ToPIC95
compatibility mode in the bios. I haven't tried the pcmcia-cs driver, but
they finally claim to have the correct specs. This is as of 2.4.3-ac3,
maybe it is already fixed.
- the ide driver is missing, but someone already requested the specs
( ), maybe it will
be available soon. But i don't think it would make much difference with a
slow old notebook drive... And linux is still much faster than m$.
- After resuming from APM suspend, sometimes 'hda lost interrupt', and the
only escape is a hard reboot... Should try different apm settings?

And the positives: toshoboe seems to stabilize, usb and X are fine, and
my 3Com Megahertz 3CCFEM556 works flawlessly.

I'll try to debug some of the problems, and send more usable info...

...and Linux for all.