    SubjectRe: Some experience of linux on a Laptop
    On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, John Nilsson wrote:

    > I have a Toshiba Portégé 3010CT laptop. That is:
    > 266MHz Pentium-MMX
    > 4GB HD with 512kb cache (which linux reduces to 0kb)
    > 32 Mb EDO RAM

    I have the same machine with 64 MB ram, and it's quite well supported with
    linux. I do most of my daily work on it (except for large builds). I've
    really tried to use all the hardware in it, and everything is usable. The
    only minor problems are:

    - hibernation (yeah, unfinished ACPI work, but the machine is said to have
    a compliant ACPI implementation)
    - sound playback and recording (opl3sa2) doesn't seem to work at the same
    time (some DMA problem, there was a patch on the list around the 2.4.3
    time but it was included somewhat differently into the ac tree, i'll try
    the original patch to see if it works)
    - ToPIC97 freezes with the yenta driver, i had to put it into ToPIC95
    compatibility mode in the bios. I haven't tried the pcmcia-cs driver, but
    they finally claim to have the correct specs. This is as of 2.4.3-ac3,
    maybe it is already fixed.
    - the ide driver is missing, but someone already requested the specs
    ( http://linux.toshiba-dme.co.jp/linux/eng/develop.php3 ), maybe it will
    be available soon. But i don't think it would make much difference with a
    slow old notebook drive... And linux is still much faster than m$.
    - After resuming from APM suspend, sometimes 'hda lost interrupt', and the
    only escape is a hard reboot... Should try different apm settings?

    And the positives: toshoboe seems to stabilize, usb and X are fine, and
    my 3Com Megahertz 3CCFEM556 works flawlessly.

    I'll try to debug some of the problems, and send more usable info...

    --
    Dani
    ...and Linux for all.