    SubjectRe: Some experience of linux on a Laptop

    Well, let's see:

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, John Nilsson wrote:

    > Well I thought that it was time for me to give some feedback to the linux
    > community. So I will tell you guys a little of my experience with linux so
    > far.
    >
    > I have a Toshiba Portégé 3010CT laptop. That is:
    > 266MHz Pentium-MMX
    > 4GB HD with 512kb cache (which linux reduces to 0kb)
    > 32 Mb EDO RAM
    >
    > After have tried
    > Slackware
    > Gentoo
    > Linux From Scratch
    > Debian
    > Mandrake
    > and soon ROCK linux
    >
    > I have come to the conclusion that linux is NOT suitable for the general
    > desktop market, I have configured a number of linux routers/fierwalls and am
    > really pleased with the scalability, but the harware compatibility is to
    > damn low for a general user base. I know this isn't really a Linux issue
    > rather a distribution issue, but in the end it's you guys that make the
    > drivers. So a little plea is that you let the optimization phase cooldown a
    > little and concern your self a little more with compatibility, and ease of
    > installation, (tidy up the kernel build system).
    >
    > On my particular computer the chipset (toshiba specific) is not supported
    > wich makes the harddrive unable to run in UDMA and/or use it's cache.
    > Somehow this make X totaly unusable. With a little luck if it doesn't hang
    > it takes several minutes to launch a simple program.
    > This could be X specific, but I doub't it.
    >
    > So when you speak of being able to run on 386:es I still have problem
    > starting X on 266MHz with 32Mb mem. This should not be =)
    >
    > And regarding my slow HD, could anyone implment an option to mount a
    > filesystem while keeping statistics on fileusage so that one could optimize
    > physical-file-placement?
    >

    > Features I would like in the kernel:
    > 1: Make the whole insmod-rmmod tingie a kernel internal so they could be
    > trigged before rootmount.

    Kernel module loader?, done.

    > 2: Compile time optimization options in Make menuconfig

    I dunno what do you mean exactly with that.

    > 3: Lilo/grub config in make menuconfig

    Not the only way to start linux. Make install does with lilo.

    > 4: make bzImage && make modules && make modules install && cp
    > arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/'uname -r' something inside make menuconfig

    make install?, done.

    > 5: Better support for toshiba computers... well try =)

    Don't have one.

    > 6: Wouldn't it be easier for svgalib/framebuffer/GGI/X11 and others if the
    > graphiccard drivers where kernel modules?

    Have you heard of XFree86 project?.

    > 7: As I said mount with statistics database of files.

    Logging?, it should be enough of that if you take a look at /var/log.

    > 8: A way to change kernel without rebooting. I have no diskdrive or cddrive
    > in my laptop so I often do drastic things when I install a new distribution.

    Don't you have enough features?. When you install a new aplication you
    don't have to reboot three times the machine ;-)
    Imposible to do that for now. (Take a look at HURD).