SubjectRe: Some experience of linux on a Laptop
David Lang <david.lang@digitalinsight.com> writes:

> On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, John Nilsson wrote:
> > 8: A way to change kernel without rebooting. I have no diskdrive or cddrive
> > in my laptop so I often do drastic things when I install a new distribution.
>
> this is suggested every few months, the normal answer is that there is a
> lot of stuff that the new kernel needs to know from the old one to make
> the handoff sucessful, with potentially drastic changes of the kernel
> internal structures it's a very difficult thing to do.

What do you want this for? If you don't need to preserve user space
I have code that already does this. If you need to preserver the user
space it is a trickier problem. But I have heard rumors of a suspend
to swap patch...

Eric

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.109 / U:1.196 seconds]