    SubjectRe: Some experience of linux on a Laptop

    John Nilson wrote:

    > 2: Compile time optimization options in Make menuconfig
    ???? I do not understand the point.

    > 3: Lilo/grub config in make menuconfig
    Unusefull and dangerous.

    > 4: make bzImage && make modules && make modules install && cp
    > arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/'uname -r' something inside make menuconfig
    To compile a kernel someone should be able to run correctly make. Don't
    you think so? Also my girlfriend, who never saw a Unix system before,
    after a couple days spended reading during free time some documentation
    and help files (4 hours in two days I think) has been able to compile and
    install a new kernel.

    > 6: Wouldn't it be easier for svgalib/framebuffer/GGI/X11 and others if the
    > graphiccard drivers where kernel modules?
    This is an old discussion. I hope it will never be. (just my own 2 cents).

    > 8: A way to change kernel without rebooting. I have no diskdrive or cddrive
    > in my laptop so I often do drastic things when I install a new distribution.
    Is it possible at all??

    Luigi

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.022 / U:0.420 seconds]