    SubjectRe: Some experience of linux on a Laptop
    David Lang <> writes:

    > if you don't preserve things running in userspace what advantage do you
    > have over rebooting?

    I use it as part of a bootloader. Allowing me to boot one kernel
    directly from another. I guess it really is a soft reboot that never
    touches any BIOS. I don't know if anyone else would get value from it.

    > if you do preserve userspace stuff then you need to also preserve the
    > kernel state related to each user process (including network connections,
    > etc), and here you are back into the problem that the kernel structures
    > may change on you.

    Preserving userspace without out any help from user space is quite
    a tricky business. Though with user space help it is fully doable
    though it may be a lot of work.

    What I have doesn't address perserving user space. I offered because
    I didn't know what was wanted. An easy kernel upgrade without touching
    running processes or a just a fast way to get into a new kernel.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.024 / U:76.184 seconds]