    SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
    On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 09:31:03AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
    > On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 14:56 +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > > The current kernel development model is pretty good for people who
    > > always want to use or offer their costumers the maximum amount of the
    > > latest bugs^Wfeatures without having to resort on additional patches for
    > > them.
    > >
    > > Problems of the current development model from a user's point of view
    > > are:
    > > - many regressions in every new release
    > > - kernel updates often require updates for the kernel-related userspace
    > > (e.g. for udev or the pcmcia tools switch)
    > >
    > > One problem following from this is that people continue to use older
    > > kernels with known security holes because the amount of work for kernel
    > > upgrades is too high.
    > What you're suggesting sounds just like going back to the old style of
    > development where 2.<even>.x is stable, and 2.<odd>.x is development.
    > You might as well just suggest that after 2.6.16, we fork to 2.7.0, and
    > 2.6.17+ will be stable increments like we always used to do.
    > You're just munging the version scheme :)

    The 2.6.17+ development model is different from a traditional 2.7
    development model in the sense that 2.6.17+ contains regular relatively
    stable releases.

    But yes, what I suggest is partially a step back in a way that it
    doesn't conflict with the current 2.6.17+ development model.

    Well, if taking the best from the old style development is improving
    things that isn't something bad.

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2005-12-03 20:38    [W:0.021 / U:78.644 seconds]