    SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
    On 2005-12-03T16:13:29, Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com> wrote:

    > The big problem is though that we don't typically find out that
    > we've regressed until after a kernel update is in the end-users hands.
    >
    > In many cases, submitters of changes know that things are going
    > to break. Maybe we need a policy that says changes requiring userspace updates
    > need to be clearly documented in the mails Linus gets (Especially if its
    > a git pull request), so that when the next point release gets released,
    > Linus can put a section in the announcement detailing what bits
    > of userspace are needed to be updated.

    True, but this first block doesn't really qualify as a "regression".
    Yes, a clearer-than-crystal documentation of "this kernel requires
    user-space component foo to be at least x.y.z if feature bar is used"
    would go a long way.

    And if then user-space itself was tolerant of at least version N and
    N-1, then users could even roll back one kernel version if problems
    arise.

    Both of these are documentation and user-space issues, and don't much
    depend on changes to kernel development model.

    > It still isn't to solve the problem of regressions in drivers, but
    > that's a problem that's not easily solvable.

    True. Regressions will always occur when driver updates happen. There'll
    always be the next bug. I don't think anyone introduces these on purpose
    ;-)

    Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@suse.de>

    --