    SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
    On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 12:19:45PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
    > On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 03:29:54PM +0100, Jesper Juhl wrote:
    > >
    > > Why can't this be done by distributors/vendors?
    >
    > It already is done by these people, look at the "enterprise" Linux
    > distributions and their 5 years of maintance (or whatever the number
    > is.)
    >
    > If people/customers want stability, they already have this option.

    I don't get the point where the advantage is when every distribution
    creates it's own stable branches.

    AFAIR one of the reasons for the current 2.6 development model was to
    reduce the amount of feature patches distributions ship by offering an
    ftp.kernel.org kernel that gets new features early.

    What's wrong with offering an unified branch with few regressions for
    both users and distributions? It's not that every distribution will use
    it, but as soon as one or two distributions are using it the amount of
    extra work for maintaining the branch should become pretty low.

    > thanks,
    >
    > greg k-h

    cu
    Adrian