    SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
    Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
    > On 2005-12-05T14:30:09, Bill Davidsen <> wrote:
    >>Actually I would be happy with the stability of this series if people
    >>would stop trying to take working features OUT of it!
    > Features are removed when they are no longer features, but design
    > irritations in a new and improved design, and usually, equivalent or
    > better (or at least thought to be) functionality is available still in
    > the big picture (which includes user-space), hopefully in a cleaner
    > place.
    > Now, design is often a holy war, and people disagree. That's fine and to
    > be expected. And sometimes, the whole solution takes a while to
    > materialize and be implemented from the kernel up to all user-space and
    > even longer until it has been implemented in the brains of the admins.
    > This, too, is fine and expected. It's called "innovation" and
    > "development", sometimes iterative.

    Removing features because there are better solutions is one thing,
    although it has been done at kernel tree changes for a decade. Removing
    features for reasons of religion is rather a case of developers removing
    a useful and unbroken feature for which there is no replacement purely
    because someone doesn't like it, or it saves a dozen lines of code.

    -bill davidsen (

      Last update: 2005-12-13 20:52    [W:0.045 / U:58.428 seconds]