    SubjectRe: IDE Disk Problems
    On 11 Feb, Gary Vinson wrote:
    > Hello,
    > We are running Linux Redhat 3.0.3 (1.2.13 kernel) using Cyrix 586.
    > We have lost one Western Digital Caviar 31600 (1.6GB) IDE drive and
    > one WD Caviar (700MB) IDE drive. Now, when I say lost, I mean that when
    > the system is rebooted, the disk sounds like it is physcially broke. There
    > is a periodic clanging noise, as if one of the drive components is
    > actually damaged. At this point, we don't get past the BIOS.
    > These two drives ran for approximately one month each
    > before dieing. Prior to this, we noticed in our system messages:
    > kernel: hdb: read_intr: status=0x4b { DriveRead DataRequest Index Error }
    > " " read_intr: error=0x04 { Drive Status Error}
    > " ide0: do_ide_reset: success
    > Now, my question is, can (or is it remotely possible) linux be
    > writing something out to the WD IDE drives to break the drive. The
    > analogy being, that you can write to a video controller and cause
    > damage to a monitor. One of our people have suggested that Linux is
    > writing to sector 0 of the WD IDE drive.

    I too have had numerous problems with the WD Caviars. I have had
    somewhere around fifteen of these drives die. I was originally running
    Asus motherboards and there was a reported firmware problem in the WD
    that was only supposed to cause problems with certain Asus
    motherboards. I believe c't had a little write up on it 6 or eight
    months ago. When I spoke with WD I chose not to mention that I was
    running Asus motherboards and asked them if they could analyze the drive
    for me and give me some clues about what was going wrong. They said
    they didnt do that kind of thing. I then tried to offer them some
    money to get them to give me some answers. They still said that they
    didnt do that kind of thing but were more then happy to replace the
    drives for me.

    After the lack of support from WD I switched over to Quantum Fireballs
    and have had no problems with them. Unfortunately a few of the drives
    that WD sent me as replacements have started to crap out on me as well
    and there not even on Asus boards. Now I am stuck with a bunch of
    drives that I can get replaced just so that they can fail on me again.
    Its a horrible never ending cycle for me with WD. Needless to say
    that I have not been to quick to get them replaced.

    The drives I have had fail have been a mixture of 1.6 and 1.2 gig's. It
    would only be fair to mention that I have numerous 425 MB 540 MB 850 MB
    and 1.0 gig drives that have been running flawlessly for years now.

    The failures have been a mixture of bad spots on the drives as well bad
    spots combined with lots of horrible clanking.

    If anyone has any ideas please send them my way as I would love to get
    to the end of this whole thing.

    Travis Woodbury

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:1.616 seconds]