    SubjectIDE Disk Problems
    Hello,

    We are running Linux Redhat 3.0.3 (1.2.13 kernel) using Cyrix 586.
    We have lost one Western Digital Caviar 31600 (1.6GB) IDE drive and
    one WD Caviar (700MB) IDE drive. Now, when I say lost, I mean that when
    the system is rebooted, the disk sounds like it is physcially broke. There
    is a periodic clanging noise, as if one of the drive components is
    actually damaged. At this point, we don't get past the BIOS.

    These two drives ran for approximately one month each
    before dieing. Prior to this, we noticed in our system messages:

    kernel: hdb: read_intr: status=0x4b { DriveRead DataRequest Index Error }
    " " read_intr: error=0x04 { Drive Status Error}
    " ide0: do_ide_reset: success

    Now, my question is, can (or is it remotely possible) linux be
    writing something out to the WD IDE drives to break the drive. The
    analogy being, that you can write to a video controller and cause
    damage to a monitor. One of our people have suggested that Linux is
    writing to sector 0 of the WD IDE drive.

    Sorry to make this so long, but to add to this woe, we have had two other
    drives go bad on other Linux boxes, both running slackware with kernel of
    (1.2.8). These drives ran for approximately 6 months before expiring.
    On one, the conditions very similar to description above. The other system
    had a seagate ST5108A (1GB) where we did not get the clanging noise but
    received the "hda: read_intr ..." messages after Linux has loaded and
    during file check. It happened to be an inode where the first bad
    spot showed up. We changed out the drive and tried to format the
    seagate with DOS but format failed (just to see if DOS could
    read/write to the drive).
    One other piece of information. On at least two of these systems, the
    CPU fan was not working. These are pentium class processors and I have
    always heard that you can get very flaky results when these processors
    heat up.
    These WDs drives were bought at separate times so we do not suspect
    that we got hold of a bad batch of drives.
    Any informations, ideas, would be greatly appreciated.

    Gary

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:3.509 / U:0.376 seconds]