SubjectRe: IDE Disk Problems

> We are running Linux Redhat 3.0.3 (1.2.13 kernel) using Cyrix 586.
> We have lost one Western Digital Caviar 31600 (1.6GB) IDE drive and
> one WD Caviar (700MB) IDE drive. Now, when I say lost, I mean that when
> the system is rebooted, the disk sounds like it is physcially broke. There
> is a periodic clanging noise, as if one of the drive components is
> actually damaged. At this point, we don't get past the BIOS.
> These two drives ran for approximately one month each
> before dieing. Prior to this, we noticed in our system messages:
> kernel: hdb: read_intr: status=0x4b { DriveRead DataRequest Index Error }
> " " read_intr: error=0x04 { Drive Status Error}
> " ide0: do_ide_reset: success
> Now, my question is, can (or is it remotely possible) linux be
> writing something out to the WD IDE drives to break the drive. The
> analogy being, that you can write to a video controller and cause
> damage to a monitor. One of our people have suggested that Linux is
> writing to sector 0 of the WD IDE drive.

I had the same _exact_ problem with an 810M drive. It was because the
drive was a piece of junk. I know many people who have had similar
problems, even on non-linux machines, with Western Digital drives.
I imagine their testing labs used the equivalent of a DOS box to test

- --
Jeremey Barrett VeriWeb Internet Corp.
Senior Software Engineer
PGP Key fingerprint = 3B 42 1E D4 4B 17 0D 80 DC 59 6F 59 04 C3 83 64
Version: 2.6.2