SubjectRe: Good point of Linux over Windows NT
Olaf Titz wrote:

> yuri mironoff <yuri@rgti.com> wrote:
> > good SMP support (scalability), async IO and security are a MUST for
> > today's servers. As poorly as those features are implemented in NT,
> > they are practically nonexistant in Linux.
>
> What is missing wrt. security in Linux? Don't say "C2" here - the
> certification is void for a networked, i.e. practical, NT machine.
>
> To which extent do corporate users care about "async IO" on a feature
> list?

Everybody who has a medium sized database wants AIO.

The problem though is not with features, but with support. Linux is
supported by tech people who will almost always do the best thing,
NT is supported by guys who do what marketing folks order.

Corporate users want to be able to scream "we are paying for your OS
so run and give us what we ask", they don't want to have to explain to
their top managers that Linus had a baby and he could not fix the bug
in the Linux kernel yesterday.

The motto is "if something goes wrong the folks who gave me the OS are
responsible for that", which will never be true on Linux.

Oh, I crashed my first NT 4.0 box Tuesday... trying to see if a P166
with 64MB RAM plus about 100MB swap could hold 150 simultaneous
SQL**l*s [hey I don't want to be fired ;) ] processes doing a query
which takes 3" (all scheduled with 'at' at the same minute).
After 20 minutes of slow agony the system paniced.

--alessandro <asuardi@uninetcom.it> <asuardi@it.oracle.com>

Linux-i386 kernel-2.1.21 libc-5.4.17 gcc-2.7.2.1 binutils-2.7.0.3

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.108 / U:0.360 seconds]