SubjectRe: SVGA kernel chipset drivers.
On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Eric A Schweitz wrote:

> Jon Taylor just said:
> >
> > If we were in the kernel, a LOT more people would see the code
> > and more people would be available to help. It wouldn't affect anything
> > if it were't compiled in, and if it were clearly marked as being alpha
> > code and didn't show up when that don't-show-alpha-options switch is
> > turned on , what would be the harm? There's other alpha stuff in there
> > too. I think we deserve a shot. If we find out that it won't work
> > after all, if it dies on the vine (not likely), or if for some other
> > reason it doesn't work out, it can be pruned out at some later date. No
> > big deal. All I have to do is convince Linus....
>
> Rudely interrupting, this seems like the cart pulling the horse
> thinking. Your project may be the holy grail of graphics programming
> (or not). But, if it is the holy grail, why does it need the Linux
> kernel to make its mark? It should stand or fall on its own merit.

Ultimately it will, of course. I think it is already to the
point where the basic concept has been proven sound, but the opinions of
others may differ. All I want to do is to get the word out that there IS
another option out there, and let people make their own judgements.

> Linus needs to evaluate what the majority of users of Linux want/need,
> and try to minimize gratuitous feature-bloat, else his user-base will
> find someone/something that does meet their needs.

Granted. That's why I'm trying to interest people in the GGI.

Jon Taylor = <taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu> | <http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~taylorj>
Moderation is for monks." - Lazarus Long

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.264 / U:0.264 seconds]