SubjectRe: NWFS Source Code Posted at 207.109.151.240
In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0003292158300.30774-100000@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk>, Matthew Kirkwood writes:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

[...]
> The multiple times that I have written 30 to 70% of a filesystem,
> I found the romfs and minixfs code to be most instructive as a
> guide to the VFS interfaces. The buffer and page cache stuff is
> rather harder to track down canonical examples for, though again
> minixfs is pretty helpful, if rather simplistic.

Whenever Ion and I wanted to understand the VFS-f/s interaction, we often
looked at the VFS code, and samples of three file systems:

- msdos/fat: it's a small block-level f/s. small enough that you can follow
most of the code and understand it.

- ext2: does much more, in case msdos is too simple, but often we didn't
need to look at ext2fs.

- nfs: b/c so much of the VFS was "hacked" to support NFS. This helped us
understand things that we didn't need to worry about in our stacking
templates, b/c they were specific to NFS.

> Matthew.

Erez.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.153 / U:0.132 seconds]