    SubjectRe: NWFS Source Code Posted at 207.109.151.240
    On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

    > > BTW, regarding your comments about Linux documentation - have you looked
    > > at the work Alan Cox is doing on this yet?
    >
    > Yes, i've looked at Alan's Documentation stuff. And as always, Alan's
    > work is absolutely excellent -- however, what's really needed is
    > something like NT puts out with their IFS Kits,

    The IFS kits are export restricted.

    > a sample VFS code example for a NULL file system for folks who are
    > porting to Linux.

    As I understand it, your nwfs is probably the first filesystem to
    have been successfully "ported" to Linux. Pretty much everything
    else (with, perhaps, the exception of the abomination that is the
    NTFS driver) started off native.

    The multiple times that I have written 30 to 70% of a filesystem,
    I found the romfs and minixfs code to be most instructive as a
    guide to the VFS interfaces. The buffer and page cache stuff is
    rather harder to track down canonical examples for, though again
    minixfs is pretty helpful, if rather simplistic.

    Matthew.

    ©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans