SubjectRe: 2.3.x wish list?
Marcel J.E. Mol wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 06:50:45PM -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 16:26:39 +0100 (BST)
> > From: Malcolm Beattie <mbeattie@sable.ox.ac.uk>
> >
> > Even without that, the performance of fsck (and mount, come to that) is
> > massively improved by doing a mke2fs with 4k blocks instead of 1k.
> > Here are some figures I sent to linux-raid a few months ago:
> >
> > Yes. Disk has gotten so large and so cheap these days that the concern
> > about the last-block overhead is pretty much not an issues these days.
> > (Heck, even my new laptop has 6 gigs on it. :-)
> >
> > One of the things which I'm planning on doing is changing mke2fs's
> > defaults based on the size of the filesystem it's making. If it's
> > making a large filesystem (where large is probably bigger than, say,
> > 200-300 megs), I'll change it to use 4k block sizes and also reduce the
> > number of inodes created (since with a large filesystem, you generally
> > don't need quite so many inodes).

Theodore,

I agree with you that most often the number of files increases more
slowly than the size of the filesystem, but there are cases where
this isn't true.

News is the one example that everybody knows.

If you are logging data to a disk, and have decided (maybe 10 years
ago) to put every measurement in a separate file, you'll get lots of
files, now that you can afford that 9G disk.

It is often very "unacceptable" to run out of inodes: you get "disk
full" errors, but df just reports lots of free space.

I think you can print a warning if your "new guidelines" aren't
followed, but I don't think you should force your new guidlines on
everybody. (well, we're talking about changing the default. But nobody
ever changes the default....)

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------