SubjectRe: 2.3.x wish list?
On Mon, May 17, 1999 at 08:59:08AM +0200, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> Marcel J.E. Mol wrote:
> > On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 06:50:45PM -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> > > Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 16:26:39 +0100 (BST)
> > > From: Malcolm Beattie <mbeattie@sable.ox.ac.uk>
> > >
> > > Even without that, the performance of fsck (and mount, come to that) is
> > > massively improved by doing a mke2fs with 4k blocks instead of 1k.
> > > Here are some figures I sent to linux-raid a few months ago:
> > >
> > > Yes. Disk has gotten so large and so cheap these days that the concern
> > > about the last-block overhead is pretty much not an issues these days.
> > > (Heck, even my new laptop has 6 gigs on it. :-)
> > >
> > > One of the things which I'm planning on doing is changing mke2fs's
> > > defaults based on the size of the filesystem it's making. If it's
> > > making a large filesystem (where large is probably bigger than, say,
> > > 200-300 megs), I'll change it to use 4k block sizes and also reduce the
> > > number of inodes created (since with a large filesystem, you generally
> > > don't need quite so many inodes).
>
> Theodore,
>
> I agree with you that most often the number of files increases more
> slowly than the size of the filesystem, but there are cases where
> this isn't true.
>
> News is the one example that everybody knows.
>
> If you are logging data to a disk, and have decided (maybe 10 years
> ago) to put every measurement in a separate file, you'll get lots of
> files, now that you can afford that 9G disk.
>
> It is often very "unacceptable" to run out of inodes: you get "disk
> full" errors, but df just reports lots of free space.
>
> I think you can print a warning if your "new guidelines" aren't
> followed, but I don't think you should force your new guidlines on
> everybody. (well, we're talking about changing the default. But nobody
> ever changes the default....)

Roger,

I think the news-master which takes the settings from mke2fs for
granted is not a very good news-master and deserves a disk-full
error?

Met vriendelijke groet,
Pauline Middelink
--
PGP Key fingerprint = DE 6B D0 D9 19 AD A7 A0 58 A3 06 9D B6 34 39 E2
For more details look at my website http://www.polyware.nl/~middelin