    SubjectRe: 2.3.x wish list?
       Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 08:59:08 +0200 (MEST)
    From: R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl (Rogier Wolff)

    I agree with you that most often the number of files increases more
    slowly than the size of the filesystem, but there are cases where
    this isn't true.

    News is the one example that everybody knows.

    True, but for a good news server you generally have to tune a lot of
    things anyway. And any decent news server maintainer should be able to
    tune a filesystem appropriately.

    I think you can print a warning if your "new guidelines" aren't
    followed, but I don't think you should force your new guidlines on
    everybody. (well, we're talking about changing the default. But nobody
    ever changes the default....)

    The problem is that a default has to be best for most people. Linus
    pointed out to me, probably correctly, that one of the reasons for our
    lousy performance on the Mindcraft benchmark was probably related to bad
    defaults for the filesystem. And there are going to be far more file
    servers and web servers than news servers used by users, so it makes
    sense to make the defaults be optimized for the more commoon usage
    scenarios.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:2.327 / U:1.440 seconds]