SubjectRe: 2.3.x wish list?
Hi Ted.

> One of the things which I'm planning on doing is changing
> mke2fs's defaults based on the size of the filesystem it's
> making. If it's making a large filesystem (where large is
> probably bigger than, say, 200-300 megs), I'll change it to use
> 4k block sizes and also reduce the number of inodes created
> (since with a large filesystem, you generally don't need quite
> so many inodes).

Is the kernel limited to either 1k or 4k block sizes?

If not, I'd suggest something along the lines of the following:

1. For partitions less than 250M, use 1k blocks.

2. For partitions between 250M and 500M, use 2k blocks.

3. For partitions between 500M and 1G, use 4k blocks.

4. For partitions over 1G, where memory is mapped in 4k units,
use 4k blocks.

5. For partitions not covered by the above, use 8k blocks.

Comments?

Best wishes from Riley.