SubjectRe: That whole Netscape problem...

G'day all,

I would just like to add to this, I have been running netscape on 2.1.1*
and have had this problem. I have a modem dial up, so I don't think it has
much to do with wether you have cable modem, or slower. I too like to
browse with >15 windows open. But recently it seems to crash with less
windows open.

I tried to go to anyother browser because it had annoyed me so much, but
too my suprise there wasn't much out there that got close (correct me if
I'm wrong) to netscape.

The versions of Netscape which showed this problem seemed to be 4.0? -
4.5. ie every version I have tried. I haven't tried 3.0?, which I may try
tonight.

I never reported it to the Linux kernel list because it didn't seem to be
kernel related. But since some one else posted I may as well put my 2 bobs
worth in.

[SNIP]

> I'm running Netscape 4.5 here on my RH 5.2 machine w/2.2pre7-ac2 and have
> found that more and more often with the newer kernels its hanging up. Don't
> recall this happening in any of the 2.1.13x kernels that I'd tried, but with
> the 2.2pre kernels it's happening about every half hour to an hour now. Not
> just when I'm browsing either, it frequently locks up when just picking up my
> e-mail or un-iconifying the window. I've found that by opening up more
> windows when browsing, I can cause the whole thing to just lock up that much
> more quickly than when running just a single browser window. Quite a pain
> though, as I usually browse with about 15-20 windows open at once. My
> girlfriend on the other hand, uses one window only and has never experienced a
> lockup.
>
> >From what I do recall having seen in the postings as of late, I get the sense
> that it has to do with Netscape entering a race condition with the sockets
> that are feeding information into it's own threading loop. I'm going to wager
> a guess that many people out there simply aren't experiencing the problems as
> they're primarily running it on a standard modem as opposed to a
> LAN/ISDN/ADSL/cable modem. I've got a cable modem here and I'm wagering that
> it's just feeding stuff in fast enough to force the race condition to occur.

Cheers Mof.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.163 / U:0.164 seconds]