    SubjectRe: That whole Netscape problem...
    While currently running Netscape under a 56K dialup I did run it for a couple of months
    on an ADSL connection while I was living in New Orleans and I agree simply because I've
    never experienced the problem on a variety of software and hardware setups and under
    several kernel revisions (2.0, 2.1, and 2.2pre series).

    The only consistent problem I've encountered is a nasty habit for Netscape to lock up if
    you do something like drag the window or maximize/minimize while it's loading a page.
    Even then a ps followed by a kill -9 solves the problem usually and you just restart.
    I'm heavily in the 'Netscape is buggy as hell' camp right now.

    I'm in the process of hacking a absolutely stable version of Mozilla because I'd rather
    sacrifice features than worry about lock ups. I also despise memory leaks which
    Netscape seems to be prone to. Especially in the Java code.

    Daniel Davis
    elminstr@bellsouth.net

    Ely Wilson wrote:

    > Netscape 4.x has been 'spontaneously shutting down' since as far as I can recall, on
    > both Debian and RedHat, under 2.0 and 2.1 kernels. This is nothing kernel related,
    > maybe indirectly if at all. This is a problem that should be taken up with Netscape
    > (or whoever it is that manages the browser source code) since this has been a long
    > standing problem among a great many users of all kernel versions.
    >
    > Maybe it uses a bad memory management scheme under Linux/Unix and it surfaces itself
    > under Linux/X Windows. This is a posibility, but I wouldn't stick my neck out so
    > far (on he lkml) and say it's kernel related, because tehre are MANY X apps that
    > don't spontaneously close themselves. If it were a less centralized problem...
    > well..
    >
    > Mofeed Shahin wrote:
    >
    > > G'day all,
    > >
    > > I would just like to add to this, I have been running netscape on 2.1.1*
    > > and have had this problem. I have a modem dial up, so I don't think it has
    > > much to do with wether you have cable modem, or slower. I too like to
    > > browse with >15 windows open. But recently it seems to crash with less
    > > windows open.
    > >
    > > I tried to go to anyother browser because it had annoyed me so much, but
    > > too my suprise there wasn't much out there that got close (correct me if
    > > I'm wrong) to netscape.
    > >
    > > The versions of Netscape which showed this problem seemed to be 4.0? -
    > > 4.5. ie every version I have tried. I haven't tried 3.0?, which I may try
    > > tonight.
    > >
    > > I never reported it to the Linux kernel list because it didn't seem to be
    > > kernel related. But since some one else posted I may as well put my 2 bobs
    > > worth in.
    > >
    > > [SNIP]
    > >
    > > > I'm running Netscape 4.5 here on my RH 5.2 machine w/2.2pre7-ac2 and have
    > > > found that more and more often with the newer kernels its hanging up. Don't
    > > > recall this happening in any of the 2.1.13x kernels that I'd tried, but with
    > > > the 2.2pre kernels it's happening about every half hour to an hour now. Not
    > > > just when I'm browsing either, it frequently locks up when just picking up my
    > > > e-mail or un-iconifying the window. I've found that by opening up more
    > > > windows when browsing, I can cause the whole thing to just lock up that much
    > > > more quickly than when running just a single browser window. Quite a pain
    > > > though, as I usually browse with about 15-20 windows open at once. My
    > > > girlfriend on the other hand, uses one window only and has never experienced a
    > > > lockup.

    > > > that it has to do with Netscape entering a race condition with the sockets
    > > > that are feeding information into it's own threading loop. I'm going to wager
    > > > a guess that many people out there simply aren't experiencing the problems as
    > > > they're primarily running it on a standard modem as opposed to a
    > > > LAN/ISDN/ADSL/cable modem. I've got a cable modem here and I'm wagering that
> [...]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.027 / U:31.172 seconds]