SubjectFS idea
Please no flames.  This is probably ridiculus, but I like it.

<asbestos suit>

I think it would be nice to add in a kernel feature to allow the kernel
to interface with userspace programs to provide fs support for certain
filesystems. There are three kinds of filesystems that (in my opinion)
this would be really nice for.

1) Uncommon FS's that are not common enough to deserve kernel support
2) compressed or encrypted filesystems
3) fake filesystems. Things like tarfiles used as filesystems, punched
card machines used as filesystems ;), and other things like that

The kind of hook I'm looking for would probably fit best in the loopback
driver, in my opinion.

</asbestos suit>

Let me know what you think.

--