    SubjectRe: FS idea
       Date: 	Tue, 15 Sep 1998 21:09:53 -0400
    From: David Feuer <feuer@his.com>

    Please no flames. This is probably ridiculus, but I like it.

    I think it would be nice to add in a kernel feature to allow the kernel
    to interface with userspace programs to provide fs support for certain
    filesystems. There are three kinds of filesystems that (in my opinion)
    this would be really nice for.

    No, no, this isn't rediculous. There was a userfs early in the Linux
    kernel history, but it wasn't quite stable and was never finished.

    The kind of hook I'm looking for would probably fit best in the loopback
    driver, in my opinion.

    It wouldn't work there because the loopback driver is a block device,
    and this needs to be done at the next layer higher in the abstraction
    layer --- at the VFS layer.

    It's not *that* hard to do, but it would have some performance
    limitations (which might not matter, in some cases).

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:0.036 seconds]