    SubjectProposed stable release changes
    Hi all,

    Given that I had to just revert a patch in the recent stable releases
    that didn't get enough time to "bake" in Linus's tree (or in -next), I
    figured it was worth discussing some possible changes with how "fast" I
    pick up patches for stable releases.

    So, how about this proposal:

    - I will wait for a -rc to come out with the patch in it before putting
    it into a stable release, unless:
    - the maintainer ACKs it, or sends it directly (like DaveM does
    for networking patches)
    - I have seen enough discussion about a patch to show that it
    really does fix something / is good / doesn't cause problems.
    - obviously safe, i.e. "add a device id" type thing.

    Given that we have -rc releases every week, except for the initial -rc1
    release, I don't think this will really cause any major delays.

    Also, now that we are about to head into my busy "travel season", odds
    are, I'll be at least a week behind anyway, so this would probably start
    happening without an "official" change. It's been a boring summer, I've
    been able to keep up with the stable stuff really easily, causing
    problems like this :)

    Objections? Comments?

    greg k-h

     \ /
      Last update: 2013-08-21 01:01    [W:0.042 / U:5.824 seconds]