SubjectRe: Proposed stable release changes
On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 03:40:32PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Given that I had to just revert a patch in the recent stable releases
> that didn't get enough time to "bake" in Linus's tree (or in -next), I
> figured it was worth discussing some possible changes with how "fast" I
> pick up patches for stable releases.
>
> So, how about this proposal:
>
> - I will wait for a -rc to come out with the patch in it before putting
> it into a stable release, unless:
> - the maintainer ACKs it, or sends it directly (like DaveM does
> for networking patches)
> - I have seen enough discussion about a patch to show that it
> really does fix something / is good / doesn't cause problems.
> - obviously safe, i.e. "add a device id" type thing.
>
> Given that we have -rc releases every week, except for the initial -rc1
> release, I don't think this will really cause any major delays.
>
> Also, now that we are about to head into my busy "travel season", odds
> are, I'll be at least a week behind anyway, so this would probably start
> happening without an "official" change. It's been a boring summer, I've
> been able to keep up with the stable stuff really easily, causing
> problems like this :)
>
> Objections? Comments?

Makes sense to me.

It would be even better if you could find the time to push -rc releases
into the stable repository before you accept patches into a stable branch.
I am now running my test suite on stable/master, so that would give it
some time to catch new problems before they make their way into a stable
branch.

Guenter

  Last update: 2013-08-21 01:41    [W:0.141 / U:0.412 seconds]