    SubjectRe: Proposed stable release changes
    On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 04:04:00PM -0700, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
    > On Tue, 2013-08-20 at 15:40 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Given that I had to just revert a patch in the recent stable releases
    > > that didn't get enough time to "bake" in Linus's tree (or in -next), I
    > > figured it was worth discussing some possible changes with how "fast" I
    > > pick up patches for stable releases.
    > >
    > > So, how about this proposal:
    > >
    > > - I will wait for a -rc to come out with the patch in it before putting
    > > it into a stable release, unless:
    > > - the maintainer ACKs it, or sends it directly (like DaveM does
    > > for networking patches)
    > > - I have seen enough discussion about a patch to show that it
    > > really does fix something / is good / doesn't cause problems.
    > > - obviously safe, i.e. "add a device id" type thing.
    > >
    > > Given that we have -rc releases every week, except for the initial -rc1
    > > release, I don't think this will really cause any major delays.
    > >
    > > Also, now that we are about to head into my busy "travel season", odds
    > > are, I'll be at least a week behind anyway, so this would probably start
    > > happening without an "official" change. It's been a boring summer, I've
    > > been able to keep up with the stable stuff really easily, causing
    > > problems like this :)
    > >
    > > Objections? Comments?
    >
    > Sounds like a reasonable tradeoff, as long as the 'please include this
    > to stable ASAP' latency for critical fixes does not end up being too
    > large..

    Given the current number of those that I get are relativly small, it
    shouldn't be that big of a deal.

    All this really means is that I get a week vacation now, and then I'll
    pick back up with stable releases :)

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2013-08-21 01:41    [W:2.808 / U:0.064 seconds]