SubjectRe: Proposed stable release changes
On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 08:41:23PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:

> Let me phrase this as a question instead. Is there something we can
> do to help catch the patches that get sucked into stable during the
> merge window and then wind up causing issues and reverted/fixed after
> things settle down in the -rc releases?

I'm curious. Of the patches that went into stable that caused problems,
how many were from the merge window?

Reason that I ask this, is because the patches I tag for stable that I
wait for a merge window for release, goes through the process of all my
patches that enter the merge window. It sits in linux-next for a while
and usually gets much more testing than a fix that may come later in the
-rc cycles.

Personally, I still let my stable patches that go into later -rc sit
in linux-next for a few days before pushing them to mainline. I may even
wait for the next -rc to push it just to make sure the patch wont cause
more issues. But I know others that just send the fix directly to
mainline without going through linux-next. Those, I would think, are the
most prone to cause issues in stable.

-- Steve

  Last update: 2013-08-21 16:21    [W:0.128 / U:0.716 seconds]